Saturday, January 30, 2010

3-D Photo Shoot




This shoot was inspired by an image I took in College. It's actually a great conversation piece at all of my shoots, if you've ever been over my house you might know which image I'm talking about! (Jenilee stop laughing please!)

In the original image there is a man walking in front of a garage door with a shadow coming in the frame in the upper left corner. He's wearing white clothes a white hat, and is walking through Downtown Baltimore through Lexington Market. I was in college and took the picture with my 35mm Nikon when I was at a red light through my driver's side window. It was very random, but it turned out to be the photo that gave me the confidence to pursue photography. I wanted to take the same concept and apply it to a fashion shoot.

When I casted the model I wanted to use a girl who knew how to pose, and who could add a softer element to contrast a stricking background. concept. Kara Davis at Neal Hamil is was the perfect girl for the shoot. She is such a great talent and more important she has a great attitude.
The styling was provided by Andrea Harrell at Glamourotti.com. She really pulled some very interesting looks for the shoot. What I like most about this look is the detailing in the shoulders. Also the jacket has great structure and fits Kara perfectly. Jenilee Banan (jenileebanan.com) did a great job with the makeup very clean yet still interesting. Avion Sylvester did the hair which looked amazing.

The whole team had a great attitude which made it easy to focus. We had fun as we tried to beat the sunlight before the sunset over the Imperial Sugar Plant. I picked this location because it was easy to access and the white building provided a good canvas to show the black clothing. I knew the black would pop off the white wall. I knew that when I edited them in post I could add that contrast to the image to bring out the shadows in the perforated background. I love that the background adds texture and interest to the images. I wanted it to look almost unreal, sort of like the movie "Sin City" which uses a Film Noir or Neo Noir style. This uses distinctive visual elements including low-key lighting, striking use of light and shadow, and unusual camera placement.

Photo: Krystal Nicole
Styling: Andrea Harrell
Makeup: Jenilee Banan
Hair: Avion Sylvester

No comments: